Hardscapes are the features in your landscape that are flatwork or vertical elements composed of brick, pavers, stone, or concrete. They are the “bones” of your landscape. Many companies sell hardscape projects but few sell, design, and install them IN-HOUSE. In-house means that we do not design something and sell it to you only to have another company install it for us. We construct everything with Frank Otte Landscape & Design Group employees. The benefit to you is SCHEDULING and QUALITY-CONTROL. Once we step foot on your site, we are there until your project is complete. If your landscape company is hiring another contractor to install the hardscapes, then the landscaper is at the mercy of the hardscape contractor’s schedule. If the contractor has a bigger job than yours, he may not install your job until weeks after your existing patio was already removed. At Frank Otte Landscape & Design Group, this sequence is efficient from removal to relaxation. And rest assured, with our crews installing your hardscapes, our designers/project managers are able to ensure that the detail they envisioned becomes a reality that lasts.
Hardscape Specialties (there are great clay pavers and natural stone products that have competitive pricepoints to concrete pavers):
- Walkways- is your walkway safe and wide enough?
- Driveways- where do your guests park and does water drain across your driveway?
- Stoops- how many risers is code and what is comfortable for my elderly guests?
- Patios- do you want a dynamic shape and when do patterns get too busy?
- Water Feature- how can you see and hear it and what are the winter considerations?
- Outdoor Fireplaces- will this draft smoke up the chimney and what’s the proper scale for you space?
- Outdoor Kitchens- what do you like to cook and do you want that annoying in-law watching over your shoulder?
- Drainage Mitigation- are you about to have a flooded basement and are you tired of mud being tracked through your kitchen?
- Landscape Lighting (confession: we actually sub this out through one of the most-trusted landscape lighting contractors in Louisville)- can you safely navigate your site at night and who is that person lurking outside your house at 2am?
Softscapes are what embellish the hardscapes. Anything that grows on your site is a part of the softscape category. After decades of experience, our designers have developed an impressive network for plant acquisition. However, we have also learned that plants are usually popular in an area because they perform well. If we envision a certain plant for a unique design but it may have a questionable survival rate, then we will either find the perfect alternative or work with our vendors to determine the best choice. We are highly-regarded by local vendors for our interest in what’s available in the industry. There are many keys to a successful softscape. Color throughout the year is the typical client’s first request but a great softscape also assesses textures, scale to the space, and the ability to compliment the architecture of the client’s home.
- Knot Gardens- this is a perfect way to make your landscape more formal
- English Gardens- if your landscape is too tailored for your taste, then we can loosen it up with an array of colors and textures
- Hedges- we can recommend the best solutions for you to screen your noisy neighbors or to separate the kid’s yard from the parent’s space
- Understory Beds- light is the key to flower coverage. We can design solutions to provide you with an interesting garden even in the shadiest conditions.
- Rain Gardens- these are great solutions for sites that seem to drainage-challenged
- Container Arrangements- in Louisville, porch containers seem to be a necessity. We can design and install arrangements for all seasons.
- Erosion Control- your site is not lost for there are many great plants that help to control erosion
Maintenance is the action that is necessary to sustain a great landscape (hardscape and softscape). Just like children, your landscape ages and changes. Do you want the investment that you just made to be a waste of your money?! In order for your landscape to look its best, you must take care of it. At Frank Otte Landscape & Design Group, we can not only provide you with the incredible landscape installation, we can also help you to take care of it so all you have to do is enjoy it. Although many people view maintenance as simply something that keeps their landscapes looking great each week, we view it as something that keeps your landscape looking great for its lifetime. Imagine not maintaining your landscape for just one year. You can envision how bad your site would look. Every time we come to your site we are reflecting the pride we have in our services by polishing your investment.